Fireworks Safety: How to Keep It Fun and Avoid Injury

Independence Day can be a fun family event—an exciting time to celebrate and enjoy the summer with family and friends. And fireworks may be part of the celebration. Every year however, children and adults suffer injuries from fireworks, especially eye injuries and burns.

If you choose to use fireworks at your next event, follow these safety tips:

  • Buy legal fireworks from reliable sellers.— Note: Some states ban fireworks, including sparklers. Check with your local government agency to determine if fireworks are banned in your state.
  • Read and follow all label instructions and warnings.
  • Always have an adult present. An adult should light the fireworks.
  • Never allow children to ignite fireworks or play with them.
  • Use fireworks outdoors only. Choose a smooth, flat surface away from people, pets, houses, and flammable materials (like dry leaves).
  • All pets should be indoors during a fireworks display. Pets can become scared of the loud noises, and they could be injured or run off and become lost.
  • Never throw or point fireworks at other people. Be sure that people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
  • Always have water handy. A garden hose and a bucket should be in easy reach. After a firework has burned out, pour water on it. Soak it completely.
  • Never take fireworks apart, mix their contents with anything else, or attempt to make your own fireworks.
  • Always wear eye protection when lighting fireworks. Never have any part of your body over the fireworks.
  • Light only 1 firework at a time. Move away quickly once the firecracker is lit.
  • Never re-light a "dud" firework. Wait 20 minutes, then soak the dud firework in a bucket of water.
  • Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
  • Never shoot fireworks from metal or glass containers.
  • Dispose of fireworks by soaking them in water. After, put them in a fireproof container that has a cover.
  • Store unused fireworks in a cool, dry place.
  • After a fireworks display, do not let your child pick up the firework pieces that are on the ground. These pieces could explode.

Special Note About Sparklers

Sparklers are also very popular during fireworks celebrations. Unfortunately, these small hand-held fireworks also causes injuries, especially in young children. The National Council on Fireworks Safety recommends that only older children over the age 12 years be allowed to use sparklers. The organization also recommends these tips:

  • Wear closed-toe shoes to prevent burns on your feet.
  • Light only one sparkler at a time.
  • Stand when using a sparkler. Never run with a sparkler in your hand.
  • Never wave a sparkler or throw one.
  • Keep the sparkler at arm's length. Stand far away from people.
  • Never hold a child in your arms if you are also holding a sparkler.
  • Once lit, the sparkler becomes very hot. After it has burned out, put the sparkler in a bucket of water.


National Council on Fireworks Safety
United States Consumer Products Safety Commission


Canada Safety Council


Fireworks safety. Kids Health—Nemours Foundation website. Available at:
...(Click grey area to select URL)
Updated July 2013. Accessed June 8, 2017.
Fireworks publication #12. United States Consumer Product and Safety Commission website. Available at:
...(Click grey area to select URL)
Updated June 2015. Accessed June 8, 2017.
Recommended safety tips. The National Council on Fireworks Safety website.
...(Click grey area to select URL)
Accessed June 8, 2017.
Sparker safety. New York State Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Services website. Available at:
...(Click grey area to select URL)
Accessed June 8, 2017.
Last reviewed June 2017 by Michael Woods, MD, FAAP
Last Updated: 6/8/2017

EBSCO Information Services is fully accredited by URAC. URAC is an independent, nonprofit health care accrediting organization dedicated to promoting health care quality through accreditation, certification and commendation.

This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.

To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at Our Health Library Support team will respond to your email request within 2 business days.