Treatments for AIDS
There are different ways to treat HIV. It depends on the person's health and how severe the infection is and the person's health. The goals of treatment are to:
- Lower the amount of the virus in the body
- Keep the immune system as healthy as possible
- Prevent other infections and cancers
If the person has other infections or cancers, they will need to be treated as well.
HIV treatment includes:
- .HIV/AIDS clinical guidelines. Clinical Info.gov website. Available at: https://clinicalinfo.hiv.gov/en/guidelines. Accessed November 10, 2021.
- HIV treatment. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/livingwithhiv/treatment.html. Accessed November 10, 2021.
- Overview of HIV infection. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/overview-of-hiv-infection. Accessed November 10, 2021.
- Sexually transmitted infections treatment guidelines 2021. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment-guidelines. Accessed November 10, 2021.
- David L. Horn, MD, FACP
(C) Copyright 2022 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.