Diagnosis of Asthma
Asthma can be hard to diagnose. The symptoms can be the same as other lung problems. The doctor will ask about symptoms and past health. A physical exam will be done. It will focus on the lungs.
Spirometry measures how much air a person breathes in and breathes out. The person breathes into the tube attached to a machine. The machine measures the amount and rate of air that passes through a person's airways.
Diagnosis of asthma is based on these methods.
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.http://services.epnet.com/getimage.aspx?imageiid=69096909lung_test.jpgLung testNULLjpgLung testNULL\\hgfiler01a\intellect\images\lung_test.jpgNULL56NULL2008-02-04300460Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
- Acute asthma exacerbation in children. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/acute-asthma-exacerbation-in-children. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Asthma diagnosis. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America website. Available at: https://www.aafa.org/asthma-diagnosis. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Asthma exacerbation in adults and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/asthma-exacerbation-in-adults-and-adolescents. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Asthma in adults and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/asthma-in-adults-and-adolescents. Accessed October 22, 2019.
- Chronic asthma in children. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/chronic-asthma-in-children. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Diagnosing and treating asthma. American Lung Association website. Available at: http://www.lung.org/lung-health-and-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/asthma/diagnosing-treating-asthma. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- 2022 Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) report: global strategy for asthma management and prevention. Available at: https://ginasthma.org/gina-reports. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.