Symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
Symptoms will appear slowly over time. They may be:
- A feeling that the bladder is not empty after urinating (peeing)
- Needing to urinate often
- A very strong urge to urinate
- Waking up to urinate
Note: Nighttime urination can also be a sign of other health problems. See your doctor if it persists.
Copyright © 2002 Nucleus Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.http://services.epnet.com/getimage.aspx?imageiid=25502550si55550996.jpgProstate GlandNULLjpgProstate GlandNULL\\filer01\Intellect\images\si55550996.jpgCopyright © 2002 Nucleus Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.36NULL2002-10-012553912550_19152Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Other common symptoms include:
- Urine flow stops and starts during urination
- Urine that trickles out rather than flows strongly
- Having to push or strain in order to urinate
- Leaking urine, or unable to stop urine
- Hard time starting to urinate
- Dribbling at end of urination
- Deep discomfort in the lower belly
Backed-up urine may raise the risk of urinary tract infections (UTIs). BPH may increase the risk of frequent or chronic infections.
Older men with dementia may be at risk for a sudden blockage of urine. It can cause the bladder to stretch and lower belly to swell. This is an emergency.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/benign-prostatic-hyperplasia-bph.
- Lerner LB, McVary KT, et al. Management of lower urinary tract symptoms attributed to benign prostatic hyperplasia: AUA GUIDELINE PART I-Initial Work-up and Medical Management. J Urol. 2021;206(4):806-817.
- Management of benign prostatic hyperplasia/ lower urinary tract symptoms (2021). American Urological Association website. Available at: https://www.auanet.org/guidelines-and-quality/guidelines/benign-prostatic-hyperplasia-(bph)-guideline.
- Prostate enlargement (benign prostatic hyperplasia). National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/urologic-diseases/prostate-problems/prostate-enlargement-benign-prostatic-hyperplasia.
- Mark Arredondo, MD
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.