Treatments for Celiac Disease
Celiac disease cannot be cured, but it can be managed with a gluten-free diet. The diet will give the intestines time to heal and work as they should. It will also stop the disease from causing lasting harm. Some damage that has already been done may not heal.
Other treatments depend on the problems a person is having, such as:
- Vitamins and minerals to treat nutrition problems
- Medicine to:
- Ease inflammation in the intestines
- Treat skin problems, such as dermatitis herpetiformis
Treatment may be:
- Celiac disease. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/celiac-disease.
- Celiac disease. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/malabsorption-syndromes/celiac-disease.
- Celiac disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/celiac-disease.
- What is celiac disease? Celiac Disease Foundation website. Available at: https://celiac.org/about-celiac-disease/what-is-celiac-disease.
- Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD
(C) Copyright 2022 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.