Treatments for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Managing GERD will help lower the chances of long term problems and damage. It will also help ease symptoms that make it harder to do day to day activities. The goals are to:
- Lower the amount of acid made in the stomach
- Make the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) muscle stronger
- Lower the food, liquid, and stomach acid that flows backwards into the esophagus
GERD is treated with a mix of medicines and lifestyle changes. People who are not helped by these methods may need surgery. Other health problems that cause GERD or make it worse will also need to be treated.
GERD treatment includes:
- Acid reflux (GER and GERD) in adults. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/acid-reflux-ger-gerd-adults. Accessed March 18, 2022.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). American Gastroenterological Association website. Available at: https://aga-cms-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/2018214195040---All_GERD_2017.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2022.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/gastroesophageal-reflux-disease-gerd. Accessed March 18, 2022.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Merck Manual Professional Version. Available at: https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/esophageal-and-swallowing-disorders/gastroesophageal-reflux-disease-gerd. Accessed March 18, 2022.
- Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD
(C) Copyright 2022 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.