Talking to Your Doctor About Headache
You have your own health history. Talk with your doctor about your risk factors and background with headaches. By talking openly and often with your doctor, you can take an active role in your care.
Tips for Getting Information
Here are some tips that will help you to talk to your doctor:
- Bring someone with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write down your questions so do you do not forget them.
- Write down the answers you get and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for help if you need it.
- Do not be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information. You have a right to know.
- Think about keeping a diary of your symptoms, triggers, and a list of your medicines. Share this with your doctor at every visit
Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- What type of headaches do I have?
- Can a person have more than one type of headache?
About Your Risk of Getting Headaches
- Based on my health, lifestyle, and family history, am I at risk for headaches?
- Am I taking any medicine that puts me at higher risk?
- How do I prevent headaches?
- How do I treat my headache?
- What medicines are right for me?
- What are the benefits and side effects of these medicines?
- Will they cause problems with other medicines, over the counter products, or supplements that I am already taking?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
About Lifestyle Changes
About Your Outlook
- How do I know that the changes I am making are working?
- Will I always have headaches?
- Cluster headache. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/cluster-headache. Accessed March 9, 2022.
- Getting the most out of your doctor appointment. American Academy of Family Physicians Family Doctor website. Available at: https://familydoctor.org/tips-for-talking-to-your-doctor. Accessed March 9, 2022.
- Headache information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/All-Disorders/Headache-Information-Page. Accessed March 9, 2022.
- Migraine in adults. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/migraine-in-adults. Accessed March 9, 2022.
- Tension-type headache. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/tension-type-headache. Accessed March 9, 2022.
- Rimas Lukas, MD
(C) Copyright 2022 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.