Treatments for Hyperthyroidism
Treatment and outcomes will depend on your age, the severity of your symptoms, the cause of the hyperthyroidism, and whether you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
The treatment and management of hyperthyroidism involves anti-thyroidal medications, and possibly radioactive iodine or surgery. The goal is to reduce the activity of the thyroid gland and achieve a normal level of thyroid hormone in your body.
Treatment may involve one of the following:
- Hyperthyroidism (thyrotoxicosis). Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/thyroid-disorders/hyperthyroidism. Updated July 2016. Accessed November 28, 2017.
- Hyperthyroidism and thyrotoxicosis. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at: http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T116479/Hyperthyroidism-and-thyrotoxicosis . Updated July 27, 2017. Accessed November 28, 2017.
- Metso S, Jaatinen P, Huhtala H, et al. Long-term follow-up study of radioiodine treatment for hyperthyroidism. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2004:61(5):641-648.
- Primary hyperthyroidism. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/endocrine/primary-hyperparathyroidism/Pages/fact-sheet.aspx. Updated August 2012. Accessed November 28, 2017.
- Thyroid disorders. Healthy Women website. Available at: http://www.healthywomen.org/condition/thyroid-disorders. Accessed November 28, 2017.
- Vaidya B, Pearce SH. Diagnosis and management of thyrotoxicosis. Brit Med J. 2014;349:g5128.
- James Cornell, MD
(C) Copyright 2022 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.