Reducing Your Risk of Kidney Stones
These steps may help lower the risk of kidney stones:
- Drinking plenty of water
- Eating a balanced diet with more fruits and vegetables, legumes, bran, and beans
- Limiting animal protein
- Limiting foods that are high in oxalates, such as sweet potatoes, cocoa, almonds, or rhubarb
- Limiting salt
- Avoiding excess vitamin C and vitamin D
- Taking calcium supplements with meals
- Kidney stones. National Kidney Foundation website. Available at: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneystones.
- Kidney stones. Urology Care Foundation website. Available at: https://www.urologyhealth.org/urology-a-z/k/kidney-stones.
- Nephrolithiasis in adults. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/nephrolithiasis-in-adults-24.
- Mark S. Itzkowitz, MD, JD
(C) Copyright 2022 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.