Treatments for Obesity
The goal of treatment is to lower weight unil it is not a health risk. A person should try to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week until a goal weight is reached and maintained.
Obesity is treated with:
- Heymsfield SB, Wadden TA. Mechanisms, Pathophysiology, and management of obesity. N Engl J Med. 2017;376(3):254-266.
- Obesity. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/nutritional-disorders/obesity-and-the-metabolic-syndrome/obesity. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Obesity in adults. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/obesity-in-adults. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Obesity in children and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. https://www.dynamed.com/condition/obesity-in-children-and-adolescents. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Treatment. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/treatment. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.