Diagnosis of Parkinson Disease
The doctor will ask about your symptoms and health history. A physical exam will be done. The diagnosis is suspected in people with:
- Slowness of movement
- Balance problems
This is often enough to make the diagnosis. There are no tests to diagnose Parkinson disease.
Images may be taken to rule out other causes. This may be done with:
- Homayoun H. Parkinson Disease. Ann Intern Med, 2018; 169(5): ITC33-ITC48.
- Parkinson disease. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/parkinson-disease. Accessed April 5, 2022.
- Parkinson disease. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic-disorders/movement-and-cerebellar-disorders/parkinson-disease. Updated December 2018. Accessed April 5. 2022.
- Parkinson's disease. American Association of Neurological Surgeons website. Available at: http://www.aans.org/en/Patients/Neurosurgical-Conditions-and-Treatments/Parkinsons-Disease. Accessed April 4, 2022.
- Parkinson's disease information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/All-Disorders/Parkinsons-Disease-Information-Page. Accessed April 4, 2022.
- Rimas Lukas, MD
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.