Screening for Scoliosis
Screening tests can lead to early diagnosis and treatment. They are often given to people without symptoms, but who may be at high risk. There is no evidence that screening for scoliosis has any long-term benefit.
Experts do not agree on whether children should be screened. But, many states require screening in schools. Each state has different rules on what age it happens. Adolescents are at highest risk. Screening may be done from middle school through high school.
- Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/adolescent-idiopathic-scoliosis. Accessed May 12, 2022.
- Congenital scoliosis and kyphosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/congenital-scoliosis-and-kyphosis. Accessed May 12, 2022.
- Idiopathic scoliosis in children and adolescents. Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons website. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/idiopathic-scoliosis-in-children-and-adolescents. Accessed May 12, 2022.
- Infantile and juvenile idiopathic scoliosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/infantile-and-juvenile-idiopathic-scoliosis. Accessed May 12, 2022.
- Oetgen ME, Heyer JH, et al. Scoliosis screening. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021;29(9):370-379.
- Scoliosis in children and adolescents. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases website. Available at: https://www.niams.nih.gov/health-topics/scoliosis. Accessed May 12, 2022.
- Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.