Treatments for Scoliosis
Treatments for scoliosis vary. It depends on how severe the curve is. Children with mild curves often do not need treatment.
A person with scoliosis is checked often. This is to see if the curve is getting worse. Bracing or surgery may be needed. Treatment is done in people with curves of 25 degrees or more. Surgery is done in people with curves greater than 45 degrees.
The goals of treatment are:
- Stopping the curve from getting worse
- Reducing the curve with surgery
- Limiting future health problems—such as lung disease due to restriction of the chest cavity
Medicine cannot treat scoliosis.
- Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/adolescent-idiopathic-scoliosis. Accessed May 13, 2022.
- Congenital scoliosis and kyphosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/congenital-scoliosis-and-kyphosis. Accessed May 13, 2022.
- Idiopathic scoliosis in children and adolescents. Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons website. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/idiopathic-scoliosis-in-children-and-adolescents. Accessed May 13, 2022.
- Infantile and juvenile idiopathic scoliosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/infantile-and-juvenile-idiopathic-scoliosis. Accessed May 13, 2022.
- Scoliosis in children and adolescents. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases website. Available at: https://www.niams.nih.gov/health-topics/scoliosis. Accessed May 13, 2022.
- Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.