Treatments for Sinusitis
Most symptoms can be managed with lifestyle changes and medicines. People who have long term problems may need surgery. The goals of treating sinusitis include:
- Easing discomfort
- Opening up the nasal passages
- Curing the infection
- Preventing further problems
- Preventing sinusitis from coming back
Sinusitis treatment involves:
- Acute rhinosinusitis in adults. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/acute-rhinosinusitis-in-adults. Accessed November 15, 2021.
- Chronic rhinosinusitis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/chronic-rhinosinusitis. Accessed November 15, 2021.
- Shay AD, Tajudeen BA. Histopathologic analysis in the diagnosis and management of chronic rhinosinusitis. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2019;27(1):20-24.
- Sinusitis. American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery website. Available at: https://www.enthealth.org/conditions/sinusitis/. Accessed November 15, 2021.
- Sinusitis overview. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology website. Available at: https://www.aaaai.org/Conditions-Treatments/allergies/sinusitis. Accessed November 15, 2021.
- David L. Horn, MD, FACP
(C) Copyright 2022 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.