Screening for Sleep Apnea
Screening is done to find a health problem early and treat it. Tests are given to people who do not have signs but who may be at high risk for the health problem.
People with heart failure may be given these tests to look for signs of central sleep apnea (CSA):
- Screening questionnaires
- Overnight testing at home to check oxygen levels and sleep quality
- Central sleep apnea. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/central-sleep-apnea.
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) in adults. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/obstructive-sleep-apnea-osa-in-adults.
- Sleep apnea. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/sleep-apnea.
- Sleep apnea. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: https://www.ninds.nih.gov/health-information/disorders/sleep-apnea.
- Snoring, sleeping disorders, and sleep apnea. ENThealth—American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery website. Available at: https://www.enthealth.org/conditions/snoring-sleeping-disorders-and-sleep-apnea.
- What is sleep apnea? American Sleep Apnea Association website. Available at: https://www.sleepapnea.org/what-is-sleep-apnea.
- James P. Cornell, MD
(C) Copyright 2022 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.