Reducing Your Risk of Thyroid Cancer
The cause of most thyroid cancer is not known. Therefore, there are no current steps to prevent most thyroid cancers.
Medullary thyroid cancer is caused by changes in a certain gene. This type of cancer is aggressive. It tends to spread and can be fatal.
Those with a family history of this type of cancer may consider genetic testing. Having this gene does not mean the person will definitely get cancer.
Some may choose to have their thyroid removed before there is any sign of cancer. It will prevent thyroid cancer in the future. Others may choose to keep their thyroid and watch for any changes.
- Anaplastic thyroid cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/anaplastic-thyroid-cancer.
- Follicular thyroid cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/follicular-thyroid-cancer-21.
- Medullary thyroid cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/medullary-thyroid-cancer.
- Papillary thyroid cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/papillary-thyroid-cancer.
- Treatment option overview. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: https://www.cancer.gov/types/thyroid/patient/thyroid-treatment-pdq#section/_67.
- James Cornell, MD
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.