Adhesive Capsulitis—Arthroscopic Surgery
(Frozen Shoulder—Arthroscopic Surgery)
Adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder) is a tightening of the tissue around the shoulder joint. It makes it hard to move the shoulder. This surgery improves range of motion by removing scar tissue.
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.http://services.epnet.com/getimage.aspx?imageiid=73487348si55551230.jpgsi55551230.jpgNULLjpgsi55551230.jpgNULL\\hgfiler01a\intellect\images\si55551230.jpgNULL17NULL2008-11-07314390Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Reasons for Procedure
This procedure is done to:
- Ease pain
- Improve range of motion in the shoulder
- Break up scar tissue
What to Expect
Problems to Look Out For
Call the doctor if you are not getting better or you have:
- Signs of infections, such as fever and chills
- Increasing redness, swelling, excess bleeding, or discharge from the wound
- Pain that you cannot control with medicine
- Tingling or numbness that will not go away, especially in the arms and hands
- Cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain
- Lasting nausea or vomiting
If you think you have an emergency, call for medical help right away.
Problems are rare, but all procedures have some risk. The doctor will go over some problems that could happen, such as:
- Excess bleeding
- Problems from anesthesia, such as wheezing or sore throat
- Blood clots
- Nerve injury
- Damage to soft tissue
- Instability or stiffness in the joint
Things that may raise the risk of problems are:
- Adhesive capsulitis of shoulder. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/adhesive-capsulitis-of-shoulder.
- Frozen shoulder. Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/frozen-shoulder.
- Le HV, Lee SJ, et al. Adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: review of pathophysiology and current clinical treatments. Shoulder Elbow. 2017 Apr;9(2):75-84.
- Shoulder arthroscopy. Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatment/shoulder-arthroscopy.
- Warren A. Bodine, DO, CAQSM
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.