Computed Tomography Angiography
Computed tomography angiography (CTA) is an x-ray of blood vessels. A material called contrast is used with the test. It will make the blood vessels easier to see.
CTA is most commonly used to study blood vessels of the:
- Legs or arms
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.http://services.epnet.com/getimage.aspx?imageiid=68466846blood_flow_brain.jpgBlood Flow BrainNULLjpgBlood Flow BrainNULL\\hgfiler01a\intellect\images\blood_flow_brain.jpgNULL114NULL2008-01-22400355Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Reasons for Test
This test may be done to:
- Find blood vessels that are narrowed, enlarged, or blocked
- Look for blood leaking from the blood vessels
Copyright © 2002 Nucleus Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.http://services.epnet.com/getimage.aspx?imageiid=24852485si1452.jpgHeart AttackNULLjpgHeart AttackNULL\\filer01\Intellect\images\si1452.jpgCopyright © 2002 Nucleus Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.21NULL2002-10-012553912485_40321Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Problems are rare, but all procedures have some risk. The doctor will go over some problems that could happen, such as:
- Allergic reactions to contrast material
- Excess bleeding
- Kidney damage
What to Expect
Call Your Doctor
Call your doctor if you have:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Swollen or itchy eyes
- Problems breathing
If you think you have an emergency, call for medical help right away.
- Coronary artery disease. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/coronary-artery-disease-cad. Accessed August 31, 2021.
- Coronary computed tomography angiography (CCTA). Radiology Info—Radiological Society of North America website. Available at: https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info/angiocoroct. Accessed August 31, 2021.
- Ozkok S, Ozkok A. Contrast-induced acute kidney injury: A review of practical points. World J Nephrol. 2017;6(3):86-99.
- Prevention of contrast induced complications. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/prevention/prevention-of-contrast-induced-complications. Accessed August 31, 2021.
- What is computed tomography angiography? Johns Hopkins Medicine website. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/computed-tomography-angiography-cta. Accessed August 31, 2021.
- Nicole Meregian, PA
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.